CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day 1,

Right now I am reading a book called The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs. It's a fun and insightful book about a man who decides to try and live the bible as literally as possible for one year. He grew up in a secular home without religion. This is his attempt to see why the bible is the most influential book in history. While being very funny, witty, and entertaining, the book is also very thought provoking. It doesn't mock religion in the way you would think. He actually finds purpose and beauty in the most bizarre practices like not wearing mixed fibers. Its written in a sort of quasi-journal type of way. This got me thinking of doing something similar.

So this is my little experiment...I'm going to blog every day for 30 days. Hopefully, I'll be able to make the rather mundane boring things in my life seem interesting and purposeful.

This morning, and the last 30 mornings, I've been waking up with The Killer's song "Human". It's the song that goes "Are we human or are we dancer?" The melody of that damn song is so infectious that I can't get it out of my head. And even worse, the grammar of that line is so horrendous that my brain wants to explode every time I hear it. I HAVE TO pluralize dancer when I sing it because it otherwise does not make sense at all.

The most annoying thing about this song getting stuck in my head is that I don't listen to The Killers. It's just always on. Every time I manage to erase it from my brain through relentless listening of Scandinavian Death metal, the song still happens to make its way back into my ears whether its at the gas tank filling up my car or at the grocery store. I can't escape it. What type of society is this that I have to play music at all times to avoid a song that IS the next major plague. Even Tavia was singing it last night when I was trying to get her pj's on her.

Don't get me wrong, the melody is fantastic...too much so. However, the lyrics are a ridiculously disjointed attempt to sound profound.

I can actually feel myself getting dumber when I hear this song. I fight it.

This brings me to my next note: Things that are annoying me today!

Constant Beeping: Right now there is a beeping sound coming from a closet in the English department that supposedly, I've been told, holds servers for the computer system. I'm not a computer person but I'm pretty sure they aren't referring to waiters stuffed into a closet waiting to serve computers. The annoying thing about this beeping noise is that we can't do anything about it. We've called a handful of people and UVU's service department said that they have to order a part...which will take a few days to weeks. I'm about ready to punch through the door and tear out whatever is beeping.

Kids that wear neon colored shoes. I'm really not sure why this late 80's/early 90's fad came back but seriously people...neon colored shoes are not cool, especially high-tops. They distract me from going doing menial tasks and I end up bumping into things when I walk as I shake my head back and forth.

Mustaches. Mustaches are reserved for policemen, firemen, and gay men. Also, you shouldn't be growing a mustache if you can't. I've been seeing far too many 18 to 19 year old boys around the halls of UVU with what looks like a dead caterpillar taped to their upper lips. It's just not cool. Just because the singer of The Killers has a mustache doesn't mean you should do the same...nor does it mean he should.

The Cold Outside: If I could, I would karate chop The Cold right in the throat. It is not welcome here.

Stupid Students: The first couple weeks of every semester is a drudgery of students who decided to register for classes after the semester has already started. The UVU English department has a very strict adding policy for students who want to get into a class. This is because English courses have a lot of writing and a teacher simply can't take every student that wants to get into their class. However, every student that walks in here today doesn't seem to understand this concept. We're already two weeks into the semester...most of these classes are have already done a significant amount of homework and reading. We tell them this and they still feel like it's our responsibility to get them into the class. And when they get angry when they can't get into the class, I just want to take them outside and flog them for being stupid and not registering when they should have. The best is when their parents come in with them because apparently they think that their father will have better luck getting them into the class that they want so desperately. "Tell your son/daughter to register as soon as they can next semester to avoid this problem."

Hugh Jackman: I don't have to explain this one.

0 comments: