CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 4, Iron knee

I have 40 minutes to blog this one out in order to keep my goal...it is exactly 11:20...

ready...

set...

go.

I experienced an interesting bit of irony tonight. Hannah and I decided that we'd treat the kids to a nice dinner since it was friday night and we all seemed eager to get out. So we decided, since we had a two for one coupon, to go to The Mayan. For those of you who are unaware of this restuarant that was humbly established in the Sandy area when I was in high school, it is basically a mexican joint with some waterfalls and cliff divers...and fake birds and fake tropical sounds.

I haven't been to this place since the first year that it opened, when it was a big deal. I don't remember the food being too great but the atmosphere was pretty cool. I must have been a junior or senior in high school when it opened.

We thought this would be a fun experience for the kids so we packed into our small little sedan and made the 40 minute drive through fog. We guessed correctly because as soon as we got to the restaurant, the kids were entranced. They loved the place. They especially loved watching the cliff divers.

The service was quick and our waiter was very nice and helpful. Now, I love mexican food. I grew up in San Diego and I have fond memories of eating at mexican places. I especially love the bowl of hot chips and salsa. Our waiter brought us some chips and I was in heaven. I could eat chips and salsa forever. Shortly thereafter, he brought out our food. I ordered a shredded beef enchilada. The shredded beef wasn't great and neither was the sauce they poured over it. But it was good...UNTIL I noticed that my throat was starting to swell up.

So I stopped eating. I looked at Hannah and pointed at my throat. She knew immediately what I meant. Luckily, the reaction wasn't as bad as the time I went to the Emergency Room. The enchilada was bland enough that it probably didn't have enough of whatever it is that I'm allergic to in it. So my throat swelled up just enough to be annoying. Everyone finished their meal and we drove home. It's been about two hours since we ate and I can still feel a little bit of a lump in my throat but it's pretty much gone.

However, it did remind me of the $600.00 burrito.

0 comments: